Development Internship Job Description
POSITION: Development Internship
REPORTS TO: Development Director
LOCATION: 410 Pierce St., Houston, TX 77002
TYPE: Summer Internship; Flexible (between 10 hours/week to full time)
The US-China Innovation Alliance (UCIA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that promotes innovation through the exchange of ideas and collaboration between China and the US. We organize the annual US-China Innovation and Investment Summit (UCIS) in Houston, which provides a unique opportunity for innovative technology startups to connect with investors, strategic partners, leading incubators/accelerators, and professional services firms from China. It is an excellent platform for technology companies to leverage significant resources from China to accelerate their growth and to expand their market potential. The UCIA also organizes roadshows to bring innovative US technology companies to China for B2B matchmaking and provides other services to help US-based companies connect with complimentary Chinese resources.
The preferred candidate will be a highly organized, detail-oriented, and efficient self-starter who works well autonomously and as part of a team. The candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail, a positive attitude, and a demonstrated interest in facilitating business and knowledge exchange between the U.S. and China. Project management experience is a plus.
- Assist the Development Director with development and fundraising strategy for the year.
- Research grant opportunities and assist with applications.
- Research relevant organizations for sponsorship and partnership opportunities.
- Set up meetings with existing and potential sponsors and donors.
- Commitment to the mission of the UCIA.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in International Relations, Business, Economics or relevant field required.
- Previous work/intern/volunteer experience preferred in a non-profit setting .
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and professionally in a creative, fast-paced, intellectual team environment.
- Ability to work independently and with other team members to achieve institutional goals.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English – must, Mandarin Chinese – preferred but not necessary).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of UCIA partners and sponsors.
- This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking for experience in or thinking about a career in consulting, international relations or cross-border business development.
- Getting an overview of how an international organization with high-level exposure in both the U.S. and China is run.
- Networking opportunity with industry leaders, high-level partners and sponsors.
- Work experience with a passionate and international team.
How to apply
Please read the application instructions carefully.
- Email the following to email@example.com
- Indicate job title “Development Internship” in the subject line.
- Cover letter.
Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your application as having been received unless your email is bounced back.
The U.S. – China Innovation Alliance is an equal-opportunity employer.