Volunteer Responsibilities Description
POSITION: Marketing and Communications Volunteer
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
LOCATION: 410 Pierce St., Houston, TX 77002
TYPE: Flexible (between 10 hours/week to full time)
The U.S. – China Innovation Alliance (UCIA) is registered in 2015 as a non-profit 501 (c)(3)cc3 tax-exempt organization that aims to provide a platform to promote the exchange of ideas and collaboration in innovation between China and the U.S. We organize the annual U.S.-China Innovation and Investment Summit (UCIS) in Houston that brings Chinese investors and innovative U.S. based companies together. We also put together roadshows that bring innovative U.S. technology companies to China for B2B matchmaking and provide other services that help U.S.-based companies connect with resources in China.
The preferred candidate will be a highly organized, detail-oriented, and efficient self-starter who works well autonomously and as part of a team. The candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills; the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail; a positive attitude; and a demonstrated interest in facilitating business and knowledge exchange between the U.S. and China. The Marketing and Communications Volunteer reports to the Executive Director and works closely with all departments to ensure consistent, accurate, up-to-date and engaging digital communications via the website and social media platforms. Project management experience is a plus.
- Assist with the production of marketing materials, including program flyers, weekly email
announcements, monthly newsletters, press releases and brochures.
- Collaborate closely with all departments on social media strategies (Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in and others) and implement electronic promotions to increase audience engagement.
- Arrange for vendor services for design, printing, photography, ad placement, and other services.
- Commitment to the mission of the UCIA
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Marketing, PR, Business, Economics, International Relations or relevant field required.
- Previous work/intern/volunteer experience preferred in marketing, PR and media in a non-profit setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and professionally in a creative, fast-paced, intellectual team environment.
- Ability to work independently and with other team members to achieve institutional goals.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English – must Mandarin Chinese – highly preferred).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook).
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of UCIA volunteers and partners.
- This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking for experience in or thinking about a career in marketing, consulting, international relations or event planning.
- Getting an overview of how an international organization with high-level exposure in both the U.S. and China is run.
- Networking opportunity with industry leaders, high-level partners and sponsors.
- Work experience with a passionate and international team.
How to apply
Please read the application instructions carefully.